Dear Parents Issue: 07 February 15th 2023
- Reminder: school is closed Thursday and Friday of this week (Feb 16th & 17th) for the mid-term break.
- Congratulations to Mr McDonald’s Senior Infants on having the Best Attendance for January.
Enrolments for September 2023:
- Enrolment forms for pupils due to start school in September 2023 are available from the office. The closing date for receipt of completed forms is this coming Monday (February 20th.)
- Due to the high interest for places, please ensure any siblings who are due to start in September 2023 have their information in on time. Thank you!
Athenry Boys School:
For parents of 1st class boys:
- If you are enrolling your son in Athenry Boys school for September 2023 (2nd class), please complete the Boys School enrolment form and return it to the Boys school as soon as possible.
Presentation College Athenry:
Information for 6th class girls who have been accepted to Presentation College Athenry for September 2023:
- The CAT4 assessment will be held on Friday Feb 24th
- Subject Taster Day for incoming 1st years will be held on Thursday Mar 2nd from 9am to 4pm
- Thanks to all the grandparents and relatives who visited the school on Grandparents day.
- We were so delighted to be able to welcome so many guests on the day.
- Special thanks to Liam Silke (grandfather of Venice Silke in 6th class) for donning his Galway Town Crier robes for the event.
- Band practice is continuing as we prepare for the St. Patrick’s day parade (Friday March 17th)
- Please remind the girls to practice their tunes as part of their homework!
- The National Transport Authority announced new funding for active travel (walking and cycling) projects across Ireland.
- €280,000 has been allocated to Athenry town
- €80,000 to begin planning for a better Athenry, with more cycling and walking facilities allowing people to move more freely, safely & sustainably around the town
- €100,000 for Scoil Chroí Naofa and €100,000 for Athenry Boys school to assist both schools in making the areas around each school much safer for children who walk and cycle to school.
Attendance & Punctuality:
- Please note that attendance and punctuality is being monitored very closely across the school:
- It is very important to note the reason for your child’s absence from school on Aladdin
- The school is obliged to report details of any children who are absent for more than 20 days during the school year to TUSLA
- School starts at 8.50am and teacher will take note of children arriving after this time
- Junior & Senior Infant children finish school at 1.30pm and all other classes finish at 2.30pm.
- Children should not be collected early from school unless there is a very valid reason
- Any child being collected early from school must be signed out by a parent and the reason must be noted in the “sign-out” book at the office window.
- We will be introducing our new school uniform (Crested Navy Sweatshirt, Light Blue Polo shirt and Navy Track pants / Joggers) from September 2023.
- The uniform will be available to purchase from GM design wear, National School wear centre and Anthony Ryans
- The current school uniform will be phased out over the course of the next school year.
- Mrs Monson’s 3rd & 4th class girls were visited by Deirdre Leech (mom of Mairéad) from the Anne Sullivan centre.
- The Anne Sullivan centre advocate for people who are Deafblind in Ireland.
- Many thanks to Deirdre for her very interesting “sensory workshop”.
- Thanks to the TY students of Presentation College Athenry and their teacher April Morrison for providing some Spanish lessons to the pupils in 5th & 6th class.
Presentation College Athenry Musical:
- Pupils in the two 5th & 6th classes will be attending the matinee performance of “Dancing Queen” on Wednesday March 1st.
- The matinee is taking place in the Brothers of Charity Kilcornan, Clarinbridge, so the girls will have to travel their by bus.
- The cost to attend the event is €10 per pupil and can be paid online via Aladdin. (The parents council are subsidising part of the cost of the bus).
Annual Book Fair:
- Our annual book fair in partnership with Tara Book company will take place on-line again this year.
- We have re-scheduled the date for the book fair to be the week of Monday Mar 13th to Sunday Mar 19th.
- You will be sent the link and password closer to the time.
- The Green School committee (Mrs Greally’s 4th class) are working on a theme of Bio-diversity this year.
- Their “Green School Newsletter” was circulated last week, detailing all the great work they have been doing in their own class and also all the work they have been encouraging all classes in the school to get involved in.
- An inspector from An Taisce visited the school this week to see first-hand what amazing work they have done and he was very impressed!
- Fourth class will take part in a Food workshop on Friday May 10th.
- Ms Tyrrell & Ms Alani will be running an Easter camp in the school from Mon April 3rd to Thurs April 6th, from 10am to 2pm.
- The camp is being offered to pupils from Jun Infants up to 4th class.
- Cost is €80 per child (family discount of €70 per sibling)
- Each year the Parents Council part-fund a cycling workshop for the 6th class girls. This workshop is provided over a number of sessions and is delivered by “Cycle Right”.
- The workshops are scheduled to commence after the Easter holidays (Mon Apr 17th), when the weather will hopefully be good. Obviously the workshops mainly take place outdoors.
- The girls are encouraged to use their own bicycles and helmets, where possible.
FAI Soccer competition:
- We have entered two teams to take part in the FAI 5s soccer competition
- There will be weekly soccer training for all girls interested in taking part.
- The qualifiers take place in Mervue on Thursday April 20th.
- We are delighted to announce that school tours will be going ahead in term 3.
- All the teachers have booked something for their class.
- Below is a summary of when & where each class will be going:
|Tuesday May 23rd||Ms McSpadden (1st & 2nd class) |
Ms Feeney (2nd class)
|Wildlands Moycullen, Co. Galway|
|Wednesday May 31st||Mrs Murray (Senior Infants) |
Mr McDonald (Senior Infants)
Miss Dolan (Senior Infants)
|Turoe Pet Farm, Bullaun, Co. Galway|
|Thursday June 1st||Ms Tyrrell (Junior Infants) |
Mrs Duffy (Junior Infants)
Miss Dolan (Junior Infants)
|Turoe Pet Farm, Bullaun, Co. Galway|
|Thursday June 1st||Ms Alani (3rd class) |
Mrs Monson (3rd & 4th class)
Mrs Greally (4th class)
|Bay Sports, Athlone, Co. Westmeath|
|Thursday June 8th||Mr Kelly (5th & 6th class) |
Miss Murray (5th & 6th class)
|Emerald Park Ashbourne, Co. Meath|
|Tuesday June 13th||Mr Hanley (1st class) |
Ms O’Byrne (1st class)
|Let’s Go! Kingfisher, NUIG Galway|
Dates for Diary:
- Tuesday March 22nd: School Photographer
- Thursday Mar 23rd: Staff Webinar Term 2 – all the children will go home at 1.15pm
- Monday April 3rd to Friday April 16th: Easter Holidays (school closes at 11.45am on Fri Mar 31st)
- Monday May 1st to Friday May 5th: May Mid-term break
- Thursday May 18th: Confirmation for 6th class girls
- Saturday May 20th: First Communion for 2nd class girls at 2.30pm
- Friday June 23rd: Graduation for 6th class girls and 1st class boys
Current After-school Clubs:
- Monday: Mrs Duffy’s Skills club for Junior & Senior Infants
- Monday: Miss Morris’ Lego Club for 1st class (starting Mar 6th)
- Monday: Mrs Trehy’s Irish Sign Language for 3rd class
- Tuesday: Ms Alani’s Art Club for 3rd & 4th class
- Tuesday: Mrs Trehy’s Irish Sign Language for 5th class
- Tuesday: Ms Alani’s Art Club for Senior Infants (starting Feb 28th)
- Tuesday: Miss Feeney’s Club Gaeilge for 3rd & 4th class (starting Feb 28th)
- Wednesday: Miss Feeney’s Club Gaeilge for 1st & 2nd class
- Wednesday: Mrs Trehy’s Irish Sign Language for 4th class
- Wednesday: Ms Tyrrell’s Science Club for 2nd & 3rd class (starting Mar 15th)
- Thursday: Mrs Trehy’s Irish Sign Language for 6th class
- The Children’s Liturgy at Church of the Assumption Athenry is back, after 2 long years. It takes place during the Sunday 11am mass, during term time i.e. any Sunday when there is school the following day. A few things to keep in mind:
- Currently it is only being offered to children in Junior & Senior infants (they are restricted to these numbers due to a shortage of volunteers)
- If they get more adult volunteers then children from other classes can be added (Please contact [email protected] or Deirdre at 0870984379, if you are interested in volunteering).
- Parents are asked to sign a consent form the first time their child attends the children’s liturgy. This consent form is kept on file.
- Parents still need to drop their child to the pastoral centre before mass (from 10.50am).
- Maximum capacity is 16 children, so you need to get in early if you wish them to attend every week. Do not leave until your child is with one of our team members.
- Please watch for your child to come back into the church (at the start of the Our Father prayer).
- The children will come back to the church from the back of the church (via the entrance to the chapel of adoration). If your child doesn’t know where you are sitting, you may wish to come to the back of the church to where you can see them come out of the Pastoral centre.
- Flex Yo style dance classes with Kim – Athenry Community Hall
- NEW Saturday classes in the community hall. Starting Saturday the 25th of February. Here is the link if anyone wants to book a trial https://www.flexyostyle.ie/live-class-venues
- If you book one trial you can bring a friend for free with you to the trial class.