Dear Parents Issue: 08 March 15th 2023
- Congratulations to Miss Murray’s 5th & 6th class on having the Best Attendance for February.
Band & St Patrick’s Day Parade:
Friday March 17th is St Patrick’s day, a bank holiday and there will be no school.
- Band practice is in full swing as we prepare for the St. Patrick’s day parade (this Friday March 17th)
- Please remind the girls to practice their tunes as part of their homework!
- The parade will take place this Friday (March 17th) after 11am mass
Children from 2nd up to 6th class have worked very hard for this event, so we hope to see your support by being present on the day.
Your co-operation in the following matters is an essential part of this day. All children in the band are requested:
- To meet in the school at 10.30am
- To bring their instruments
- To wear their hair in plaits, if possible
- To make sure they have comfortable shoes or runners
- To wear two layers, vests or t-shirts under their band uniforms
- Girls from 3rd to 6th class to wear their navy tights (2nd class girls will be given flesh coloured tights).
- Children can be collected from the school straight after the parade at 12.45pm
Seachtain na Gaeilge:
- All the classes are celebrating Seachtain na Gaeilge this week.
- All the children and staff will make an extra effort to speak in Irish.
- The senior classes took part in a “Tráth na gCeist” on Tuesday – sincere thanks to Mr Hanley & Mrs Hallissey for organising it. Bhí an-spórt acu!
- Thursday March 16th will be a “Lá glas”. It will be a no uniform day and all the children can come to school wearing something green.
- We will be having a “Siamsa” also, where different classes will share Irish songs, dances, poems etc. with the whole school.
- The girls in 6th class have been given consent forms for the School Dentist.
- These forms need to be completed and returned asap (by Monday at the very latest).
- The dentist will then send you an appointment for your child to attend the clinic in Loughrea for a check up.
World Book day:
- The school received World book day tokens for all the children in the school.
- Sincere thanks to Caroline Sweeney who liaised with Easons book shop and got copies of the World Book day books delivered to the school.
- All the children received a free “World Book day” book.
- On Thursday of next week (Mar 23rd) there will be a “no uniform” day. The children can come to school dressed as a character from their favourite book, in honour of world book day.
Annual Book Fair:
- Our annual book fair in partnership with Tara Book company will take place on-line again this year.
- It opened on-line on Monday of this week and will run until Tuesday March 21st.
- Please ensure you use the below link in order for the school to get credit for your purchase (for every 2 books you buy we get 1 free book!!!):
To order click on https://bookfair.tarabookco.ie/
click on shop now
On checkout please tick school – Scoil Chroi Naofa
All orders will be delivered to school, bagged and labelled.
- “World book day” books have been reduced to 0.01cent. There is a limit of one world book day book per child.
- County photos will be here on Wednesday March 22nd to take the children’s photographs
- All children should come to school in their full school uniform on the day (i.e. if your child usually wears PE clothes to school on a Wednesday, then please ensure they wear their full school uniform to school on Wednesday March 22nd).
Half Day for In Service training:
- There will be a half day on Thursday March 23rd to facilitate further staff training on the new Primary Language Curriculum. All children will go home at 1.15pm.
- There will be a Parents Council meeting on Tuesday March 28th at 8pm here in the school. All are welcome to attend.
- The 6th class girls are organising an Easter Bake sale as a Parents Council fundraising event on Thursday March 30th. They would really appreciate everyone’s help in contributing to the bake sale by sending in cakes, biscuits, buns etc. Please label all containers (and lids), if you wish to have them returned. We look forward to seeing all the beautiful creative bakes.
- Parents’ council are also hoping to have Table Quiz in Dowlings after Easter (Friday April 21st) – so put the date in the diary!!! It’s always a great night out!
- Our “Heritage Town Sponsored Walk” has been provisionally scheduled for Friday June 9th. Parents are very welcome to join us on the walk (and maybe call back to the school afterwards for a cuppa?)
- The girls in Mr Kelly’s 5th & 6th class are engaging with the https://marathonkidsireland.ie programme
- The girls will run 42km over an 8 week programme. They will run on 4 days of each week – starting at 600m and building up to 1800m before finishing the programme with a final mile event to be held at the school before the Easter holidays where each of the girls who complete the programme will receive a t-shirt and a medal.
- Mr Kelly is running a 5-a-side soccer competition at lunch times.
- There are 5 teams from 5th & 6th classes participating
- It is being run between now & Easter with the winning team receiving the annual 5-a-side soccer trophy.
- This will be useful practice for the girls who will compete in the FAI 5s soccer competition due to take place in Mervue on Thursday April 20th.
- Lisheenkyle National school have also invited 5th & 6th classes to a fun soccer blitz on Thurs April 27th
- Camogie tournament being run by Clarin College for 5th & 6th class pupils on Wednesday March 29th.
- The Parish Schools camogie blitz will take place on Friday May 12th
- Cumann na mBunscoil Camogie finals will take place on Tuesday June 13th
- Cumann na mBunscoil Gaelic football finals will take place on Tuesday May 30th
- There will be a representative from the Road Safety Authority (RSA) visiting the school on Wednesday March 29th.
- She will deliver age-appropriate road safety talks to all the classes
- Each year the Parents Council part-fund a cycling workshop for the 6th class girls. This workshop is provided over a number of sessions and is delivered by “Cycle Right”.
- The workshops are scheduled to commence after the Easter holidays (Mon Apr 17th), when the weather will hopefully be good. Obviously the workshops mainly take place outdoors.
- The girls are encouraged to use their own bicycles and helmets, where possible.
- Representatives from Athenry Swans Hockey club will provide Hockey coaching to the girls in Ms Alani’s 3rd and Mrs Monson’s 3rd & 4th classes.
- The sessions will commence after Easter
- On Wed April 26th & Thurs April 27th there will be skipping workshops for all classes in the school.
- The workshops will be delivered by “Skipping4Life” – making exercise fun for all children
- The girls in both 3rd classes will be attending swimming lessons in the Raheen Woods, after Easter
- The provisional dates for this are: Mon & Tues May 22nd & 23rd and also Mon & Tues May 29th & 30th
- Below is a summary of when & where each class will be going on this year’s school tours:
|Tuesday May 23rd
|Ms McSpadden (1st & 2nd class) Ms Feeney (2nd class)
|Wildlands Moycullen, Co. Galway
|Wednesday May 31st
|Mrs Murray (Senior Infants) Mr McDonald (Senior Infants) Miss Dolan (Senior Infants)
|Turoe Pet Farm, Bullaun, Co. Galway
|Thursday June 1st
|Ms Tyrrell (Junior Infants) Mrs Duffy (Junior Infants) Miss Dolan (Junior Infants)
|Turoe Pet Farm, Bullaun, Co. Galway
|Thursday June 1st
|Ms Alani (3rd class) Mrs Monson (3rd & 4th class) Mrs Greally (4th class)
|Bay Sports, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
|Thursday June 8th
|Mr Kelly (5th & 6th class) Miss Murray (5th & 6th class)
|Emerald Park Ashbourne, Co. Meath
|Tuesday June 13th
|Mr Hanley (1st class) Ms O’Byrne (1st class)
|Let’s Go! Kingfisher, NUIG Galway
Dates for Diary:
- Tuesday March 22nd: School Photographer
- Thursday Mar 23rd: Staff Webinar Term 2 – all the children will go home at 1.15pm
- Monday April 3rd to Friday April 16th: Easter Holidays (school closes at 11.45am on Fri Mar 31st)
- Monday May 1st to Friday May 5th: May Mid-term break
- Thursday May 18th: Confirmation for 6th class girls
- Saturday May 20th: First Communion for 2nd class girls at 2.30pm
- Friday June 23rd: Graduation for 6th class girls and 1st class boys
Under 6 Camogie 2023 Season
The season for new joiners is commencing (girls who didn’t play last year and were born in 2017 and 2018) in Lisheenkyle NS Hall on Wednesday at 6:15pm to 7:00pm on the April 12th and April 19th.
Both evenings will be introductory sessions for both parent and child to attend.
Outdoor training will commence thereafter with the first 6 week block planned to take place on Wednesday evenings in Lisheenkyle pitch from 6.00 to 7.00 pm, when the old Pres Pitch in Caheroyan re-opens we will move to that pitch (evening, time and date TBC).
If you require further information, please contact: Katharine Duane 087 1172844
Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh go léir!