Ideas for Practicing Tables at Home
- Skip counting (forwards & backwards) either individually or as a group.
- Multiplication Bingo/Tables Bingo (resources on teaching tables.co.uk).
- Break the chain (either skip counting or tables): Children ask each other tables and try not to break the answer chain by giving an incorrect answer.
- Tests: timed written tests/tables speed test. Children are given a set amount of time to complete various operations. If they succeed in getting all correct, they get less time the next day to complete the same.
- Recite tables every morning.
- Sponge ball: Ask someone a table and throw a sponge ball to them at the same time.
- Concentration: clapping (circle).
- Doubles: asking number doubles i.e. 7×7, 6×6……
- Pair tables: Two siblings compete to answer a table. The winner goes on to compete against a winner from another pair, and so on……
- Skip and recite your tables.
- Singing their tables/rapping tables. Refer to multiplication unplugged on YouTube (the last button link below).