Vision and Values
We are guided by the vision of Nano Nagle
Scoil Chroí Naofa is proud to be a Catholic Presentation School. Nano Nagle, foundress of the Presentation Order, holds a special place in our hearts as she teaches us how to treat others and the power of courage, compassion and inclusion. Born to a wealthy family in Ireland in 1718, Nano Nagle’s parents sent her to France to be educated since strict penal laws barred Catholic children from attending school in Ireland. She returned to Ireland after her father’s death in 1746; however prayer and reflection led Nano back to France to become a sister. Even as she began her new life as a sister, Nano’s thoughts often returned to the children of the poor families back in Ireland.
At age 32, she left the convent in France and returned to her native Cork, where she secretly gathered the children of the poor and taught them catechism, reading, writing and mathematics. As Nano spent her days with the children, they would tell her of their sick friends or family members. Nano began to visit the sick and the elderly after school, bringing them food, medicine and comfort.
She often made visits late into the night, carrying her lamp among the alleyways. Before long, Nano became known as the Lady of the Lantern.
Inspired by the vision of Nano Nagle, we place our pupils at the heart of every decision we make and every action we take as reflected in our School Vision Statement.
Scoil Chroí Naofa Vision Statement
Inspired by the vision of Nano Nagle, Foundress of the Presentation Order, the staff in Scoil Chroí Naofa aim to:
- Acknowledge and respect the dignity, uniqueness and individual needs of our pupils and in doing so, develop the whole child, physically, intellectually, emotionally, creatively, spiritually and socially.
- Be caring, fair and committed to the best interests of our pupils and seek to motivate, inspire and celebrate effort and success.
- Enable each child to learn and develop in a happy, safe, stimulating and mutually respectful environment.
- Establish a learning environment where pupils are active agents in the learning process and instil in them an interest in and love of learning.
- Develop each child as a social, literate and digitally responsible being who lives and co-operates generously with others and so contributes to the good of society.
The Board of Management, Staff and Parents of Scoil Chroí Naofa are committed to:
- Providing a broad and balanced curriculum that is holistic in its approach thus enabling each student to achieve their full potential.
- Continuing to provide Catholic Education and spiritual development enabling our pupils to celebrate the Christian vision of life.
- Being a positive influence in the lives of our pupils, by exercising good professional judgement and by showing empathy in our practice.
- Being inclusive and welcoming of children from diverse, cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Cultivating positive relationships with pupils, colleagues, parents and the wider school community.
- Communicating effectively with pupils, colleagues, parents and the wider school community in a manner that is professional, collaborative, supportive, and based on trust and respect.
- Working in a collaborative manner in the interest of sharing, developing and supporting good practice and providing the highest quality of educational experiences for our pupils.
- Being committed to continuous professional development and reflecting on and critically evaluating our practice in order to ensure best practice.
- Being connected to our local community and being supportive of local initiatives.
- An cultúr agus an teanga gaelach a chothú agus a úsáid.